Alright, y’all. I’m willing to cop to something. Brace yourselves. Are you braced? Ok. I’m assuming you are. So…..I’m basically a technology infant. For real. And as a tech infant I believe that my computer (specifically I’m looking at you, flipping Audacity) wants to destroy all that is good and pure. Why? Because IT ATE MY EPISODE! I had one of my favorite people in the whole world over to record light and bright conversation about summer stuff and when I went to open the file, IT WAS GONE! If ever there were a moment for internet Caps Lock screaming, it’s now. That means that my second episode will be delayed a few days. Like specifically until Tuesday at the latest. But it will be there. Re-record is going to happen Monday. But yeah. Wish us luck.
Also, please keep following and listening because I have a fun giveaway planned to celebrate the end of one month of podcastery!
Mark and I like a project. Scratch that, we dislike idleness. So we start projects. Hence I am beginning a podcast. Actually, that didn’t come from idleness, it feels more inspired than that. But back to projects…
A couple of weeks ago we decided to tweak our home layout to provide us with a dedicated office space(/podcast recording studio/place for Mark to record his inline classes/library/retreat). This sounds as simple as moving furniture, but, as with all home junk, it’s more complicated. So we (read: Mark) are installing an interior door, kinda from scratch. And if you’ve never done this in an existing house, it’s just the biggest pain in the petuschka. Seriously. But we are excited about the idea of a little privacy for the parents’ work and that my girls will have the benefit of a giant room for their “stuff.” Progress isn’t linear. It’s layered. It’s several steps and an opening. Just like life, man.
First things first, welcome! You’ve found the home of my nascent podcast, Ordinary Times. I hear you thinking (that’s right, I read [my own] thoughts), “what’s this thing, when’s it coming, what will it be about, where are you, why am I here?”
Whoa, imaginary person, slow down. Let’s break down that load of questions into its component parts.
- What’s this thing? This “thing,” as you put it, is a podcast produced by moi, Shanna, wherein I talk to my ordinary, but completely amazing friends about life, the Church, motherhood, hobbies, and other domestical stuff.
- When’s it coming? I am hard at work getting all of the behind-the-scenes biznaz done and will launch the first full episode the week of June 12th. I am also putting together a short lil’ preview episode that will function kinda like this post, but with more auditory output. Expect that to launch into the inter-ether by Friday, May 26th.
- What will it be about? So I kinda addressed the answer to this in the first question. It’s about family life and work and the Church and womanhood and motherhood. It’s about community and conversation. And given the nature of this post, it may be occasionally silly.
- Where are you? Well, in one sense, I’m sitting here at my computer in the dining room listening to my four year old sing a made-up song as the two year old BANGS on the piano. (This may account for the harried nature of this post.) In another sense. I’m living and talking up in Texas. The suburbs of Austin to be more specific. And don’t try to triangulate my precise location from that because I bet you could given how stinking loud the BANGING is.
- Why am I here? Ah, also a multi-faceted question. In one sense you may be here because you’ve heard about the podcast and are interested in getting more information. But the bigger question of why you’re here, like on Earth, is better handled by professionals who aren’t addicted to all sorts of parenthetical phrases. (see above. oh, and here.)
Since you’ve ventured all the way to this blog and such, could you please do me the lovely favor of continuing to check in here or on my other outlets so you keep up-to-date on all of the Ordinary Times news.